Friday, January 23, 2009

Finding Your Voice

I have been in an inquiry lately about finding Voice. Voice can be defined as your calling; your “true self” expressed; who you are meant to be in this world and lifetime. It includes the four aspects of ourselves: the mind, heart, body, and spirit.

Dr. Stephen Covey (distinguished author, speaker and consultant) notes that each of us is internally motivated to live, to love, to learn, and to leave a legacy. Ultimately, this is what drives us in our pursuits, even if we aren’t fully aware of it. Covey offered up these questions to help distinguish the different facets of ourselves that make up Voice:

1. Mind: What are you good at?
2. Heart: What do you love doing?
3. Body: What need can you serve?
4. Spirit: What is life asking of you? What gives your life meaning and purpose? What do you feel like you should be doing? In short, what is your conscience directing you to do?


Consider these questions for yourself. They are very meaty and take some honest introspection and reflection. This is a gradual process, but the key point is to set yourself on the path. What might you, your family and friends, your community, and the world gain from you taking the time to explore how you can fully share your Voice?

On a Personal Note

This topic is a priority for me. I am still finding my Voice. I have invested many years in my own personal and professional development, have defined my larger purpose (I have a mission statement I’m happy to share), and have expanded as a human being in so many ways. But I am still tentative in my full self-expression because of my propensity to be a “good boy.” I want to look good, be good, do good, and not hurt anyone along the way. So, I find myself repressing at times when my Voice is aching to be heard. It not only is a detriment to me, but is ultimately robbing the planet of who I was born to be. As I continue on this journey, I’ll share what occurs for me that may be of service to you.

1 comment:

Leon1234 said...

Hey, how are you doing? Great blog you have here!!!